Grand Slam Rules
This regular Slamalamadingdong qualifying season takes place from August 2018 to March 2020, with the Grand Slams taking place in April to determine qualification for national and international tournaments Slama may enter that year. Qualifying for the team and representing Slama requires your full commitment, respect for other members of the team, and your willingness to participate in all activities.
- To compete in a Slamalamadingdong Grand Slam and be eligible to be selected for a Slamalamadingdong Slam Team, poets must have competed in at least one open slam during the current season, August 2018 to March 2020.
- Poets receive points for reaching the final round during regular season slams (4 points for first place, 3 points for second place, 2 points for third place) as well as 1 point for reaching the second round.
- The top 12 ranked poets after the end of all regular season slams will be invited to compete in the Grand Slam in April.
- If there is a tie for places that means there are more than 12 poets, all poets will be invited.
- Poets must sign and agree to the Slamalamadingdong team agreement before competing at Grand Slam, including willingness to participate in all rehearsals and fundraising activities. Grand Slams are for the purposes of selecting our representative for individual slams or the team for team slams, so you cannot compete if you can't or do not intend to represent Slama at the tournament Slama is registered for.
- If qualified and invited poets being unavailable for the Grand Slam means that the competitors number is less than 12, the next ranked poets will be invited.
- If the ranked poets are exhausted and the list still numbers less than 12, a last chance slam will be held to determine the final places.
- When deemed necessary and appropriate, the SlamMaster may invite poets to compete in the Grand Slam.
- Poets must arrive by 7pm for the draw of the order on the night of the slam.
- The Top 4 poets from the Grand Slam will be invited to be in the National Poetry Slam team provided they have confirmed their availability and agreed to the pre-Grand Slam agreement on responsibilities for National Poetry Slam Team poets. Team Slama coaches are empowered to add a 5th team member if it's deemed necessary and financial viable.
- Poets must be over the age of 18 in order to be on the National Poetry Slam team, and therefore compete in the Grand Slam.
- 5th and 6th placed poets will be invited as reserves to train and practice with the team.
- In the event that a poet on the team cannot compete, withdraws from the team or cannot fulfill the obligations of a team member, the team member will be replaced by the next placed poet from Grand Slam.
- In the event that a poet on the team cannot compete, withdraws from the team or cannot fulfil the obligations of a team member, and that member's flights and accommodation has already been paid for, it's too late to book new tickets, or circumstances that mean the team is unable to replace a poet with the next ranked poet, the Slamalamadingdong producers are empowered to replace that member with someone who is available and has slammed, such as a poet that has flown with the team to the United States, such as a coach.