Grand Slam Rules
The regular Slamalamadingdong NPS qualifying season takes place from August to April, with the Grand Slam taking place in May to determine the team Slama sends to the US that year. Qualifying for the team and representing the team requires your full commitment, respect for other members of the team, and your willingness to participate in all activities.
- To compete in the Slamalamadingdong Grand Slam and be eligible to be selected for the Slamalamadingdong National Poetry Slam team, poets must have competed in at least one slam during the current season, August to April.
- Poets receive points for reaching the final round during regular season slams (3 points for first place, 2 points for second place, 1 point for third place.)
- The top 12 ranked poets after the end of all regular season slams will be invited to compete in the Grand Slam in May.
- If there is a tie for places that means there are more than 12 poets, all poets will be invited.
- Poets must sign and agree to the Slamalamadingdong NPS team agreement before competing, including willingness to participate in all rehearsals and fundraising activities.
- If qualified and invited poets being unavailable for the Grand Slam means that the competitors number is less than 12, the next ranked poets will be invited.
- If the ranked poets are exhausted and the list still numbers less than 12, the poets with the most second round appearances will be invited until there are 12 poets.
- Poets must arrive by 7pm for the draw of the order on the night of the slam.
- The Top 4 poets from the Grand Slam will be invited to be in the National Poetry Slam team provided they have confirmed their availability and agreed to the pre-Grand Slam agreement on responsibilities for National Poetry Slam Team poets.
- Poets must be over the age of 18 in order to be on the National Poetry Slam team.
- 5th and 6th placed poets will be invited as reserves to train and practice with the team.
- In the event that a poet on the team cannot compete, withdraws from the team or cannot fulfill the obligations of a team member, the team member will be replaced by the next placed poet from Grand Slam.
- In the event that a poet on the team cannot compete, withdraws from the team or cannot fulfil the obligations of a team member, and that member's flights and accommodation has already been paid for, it's too late to book new tickets, or circumstances that mean the team is unable to replace a poet with the next ranked poet, the Slamalamadingdong producers are empowered to replace that member with someone who is available and has slammed, such as a poet that has flown with the team to the United States, such as a coach.