The points aren't the point,
the point is the poetry!
That being said,
here are the rules.
1. Perform your poetry. Each poem must be of the Poet's own construction.
2. Each Poet gets 3 minutes, and a ten-second grace period.
3. The Poet may not use props, costumes or musical instruments. However, if your poems aren't memorised, you may use paper, notebook or phones.
4. Poets are scored from 1 to 10 by 5 judges. Highest and lowest scores are dropped, and the middle three are added together, giving you a total score out of 30.
5. Arrive early. Put your name into the hat at 6:30PM and 12 Poets will be drawn at random. If your name is not drawn, you will be guaranteed a spot next month.
6. 12 Poets in the first round. 6 Poets in the second round. And 3 Poets in the last round.
7. Bring new pieces and don't repeat a poem in any round in any open slam during this season between August 2018 and March 2020. You can repeat poems in Grand Slams, off-season slams and qualification slams such as our January women's slam.
7. Place First, Second, Third or make it into the second round and you'll accumulate points to qualify for our Grand Slam in April 2019, where you'll fight to represent Slama at national or international tournaments.
8. All performers may be recorded, photographed and quoted (with credit) for promotional purposes.